Defending champions Mumbai Indians will be locking horns with the batting heavy RCB at Chennai to kick-off the proceedings of the 14th edition of the world’s greatest cricket league. IPL comes home after a year in U.A.E. and 2 of the biggest names in world cricket will lead their sides into friendlier home conditions. Both teams have contrasting records in the opening matches across seasons compared to their overall performance. Mumbai wins just 31% of their openers while RCB clinch wins in 62% of them.
Mumbai lead 17-10 in the battle of reds and blues while winning 4 out of 6 games in the last 3 seasons. Captain-wise, Rohit leads the overall battle against Virat 10-4, but has managed only 3 out of 5 wins in the last 3 seasons. A ₹1,000 bet on Mumbai Indians to win returns ₹1,600.
Mumbai will be playing most (5) of their matches at Chepauk and can be considered their home venue. The key on this spin-friendly ground will be to bat first to get to the par score of around 160 and choke the opponent with spin in the middle overs. In 2019, the economy of spin bowlers here was just 6 while pacers conceded at 8.2 runs per over.
Both teams are expected to go in with spin-heavy artillery. Mumbai has Piyush, Rahul Chahar, Krunal & Jayant while RCB mainly relies on Sundar & Chahal.
Since 2012, RCB has played only 4 games at Chennai and lost all of them while Mumbai has played 5 games and won all of them. A ₹1,000 bet on RCB to win returns ₹2,150
MI: Rohit©, de Kock(wk), Suryakumar, Kishan, Hardik, Pollard, Krunal, R Chahar, Chawla, Bumrah, Boult
RCB: Padikkal, Kohli©, Azharudeen/Baby, Maxwell, de Villiers(wk), Sundar, Jamieson, Zampa, Chahal, Saini, Siraj
- Chahal has dismissed de Kock twice in 2 overs for 11 runs.
- Chahal has dismissed Kishan twice in 15 deliveries for 28 runs.
- Bumrah has dismissed Kohli twice in 33 deliveries for 44 runs.
- Pollard has scored 30(10) off Zampa without any dismissal.
- Suryakumar has 9 dismissals off express pacers with Average of 19.
- Maxwell has 4 dismissals off express pacers with Average of 11.
- R Chahar has dismissed Maxwell twice in 11 deliveries for 6 runs.
- AB de Villiers has 5 dismissals off Offbreak with Average of 18 but strikes at 154.
- AB de Villiers strikes at 212 at average of 109 against express pacers.
- AB de Villiers has scored 37(14) off Boult without any dismissal.
- Rohit has 4 dismissals off Orthodox with Average of just 6. Shahbaz Ahmed could be the key for RCB.
- Kohli has most runs(637) in MIvRCB games with average of 28 and SR of 126. A ₹1,000 bet on him to be RCB top scorer returns ₹2,900
- AB de Villiers is the only RCBian with a ton against Mumbai. Average of 53 at SR 152.
- Rohit & ABD have four 50+ scores in MIvRCB games-most by any batsmen.
While the opener is expected to be an absolute cracker of a match with star-studded line-ups, Chepauk might make the party a little more fun as it’s pitch might give just enough rip and grip to provide the perfect amalgamation of T20 & Tests.